Monday, May 10, 2010

Failing of Horror Films.


Horror Film

I used to watch a reality program called Scare Tactics. People were terrified by what they believed to be zombies, killers, aliens, etc and you know what I noticed? When people are truly terrified, they don't scream. Listed below are my issues with horror films:


Horror movies keep featuring zombies. 28 Days Later, was an awesome zombie film, anything else is just going to be a pale imitation of that film. Zombieland was funny. So those in charge of greenlighting films, can you give the zombie genre a rest? Do we really need another film about zombies and one person who holds the cure within them?


Horror films when dealing with the end of the world have a pregnant woman whose child can save or destroy the world. I can name at least four films with this concept.


Horror films spend a lot of time focusing on various individuals screaming their heads off as they run away at full speed from the slow walking killer. Now if I was being chased by a killer, I would try my cell phone first then I would try and hide and not scream and pant to alert the psycho to my location.


Horror films have someone waking up from a nightmare by either screaming or panting heavily. Has anyone out there EVER woken up from a nightmare like this? In Queen of the Damned, the actress did the only realistic portrayal of someone waking up from a disturbing dream, she simply opened her eyes.


Horror films are basically a bunch of scene of profanity and sex scenes. When I write a horror screenplay, my goal is to elicit feelings of terror, so my goal is to write terrifying scenes. A scene of someone making out in the woods is not terrifying and only signals a lack of writing talent and creativity.


Horror films tend to have a twist ending where instead of a happy ending, the main character either loses, think Drag me to Hell, or it turns out what we were seeing was all an illusion, think The Univited. Don't spend an hour or two telling a film only to tell the audience it has alll been a lie. The Sixth Sense does not count. That twist ending was actually well done as was the rest of the film. With the Sixth Sense, the characters were realistic enough to feel as if the story was happening to someone down the street.


Horror movies often have unbelivable motives for the killer's revenge. For example, Urban Legends, which had an awesome premise, became a sad excuse for a movie which didn't scare me at all. I believe the reason for the killings was that her boyfriend was killed by an urban legend, so the girlfriend decided to wear a bulky hot jacket, which didn't slow her down as she chased people, to not only to get revenge on the two women responsible for the boyfriend's death, but to kill a bunch of other obviously stronger and faster people.


Horror movies feature villians who can somehow survive multiple falls, stabs, shots and hits, just like James Bond and the Mission Impossible character can. I don't know what they are taking, but can I have some?


Horror movies focus too much on blood and gore, so are gross instead of scary. Signs is an excellent example of what to do to creep out a viewer. When the family was awaiting the alien attack, the alien wasn't shown trying to get into the house, instead we experienced what the family did, a bang on the door, a rattle on a doorknob, all that is much scarier then cutting to the killer.


Horror movies often have parents or friends who tell the person, experiencing the terrifying events, that there must be a logical explanation for this. This line along with the lines " You saved me." " I guess that makes us even." really need to be retired and living in some place in Florida.
Horror movies often feature the "pretend to be a real scene but is really a dream." To me this is cheating the audience and also predictable and lazy writing. I assume the very end of " I know what you did last summer" was a dream since she appeared alive and well in the next film. That movie, by the way, was based on a book which if the movie had in any way resembled the book, would have been a higher grossing film.
Horror films feature a shower scene. This must be a requirement. If it is, can it at least be a man showering?

I love watching scary movies around Halloween or on a rainy day, the problem is that so few horror films, that actually are scary, exist.


My goal is to one day write a truly scary film that will truly creep out an audience. A film where an ordinary everyday occurrence suddenly gives someone goosebumps.


I just need an agent.......

No comments:

Post a Comment